Sunday, August 03, 2014

CLCA Day 23 Featuring Spicy Kimchi Meatloaf

WHEW! I have been rather industrious in the kitchen today! First, I prepared a gorgeous carnitas salad for Cyd's lunch, then made a batch of Scotch eggs for her weekday lunches. Oh, and I thawed, halved, and marinated a bunch of chicken breasts that I will grill tomorrow.

For dinner tonight, I tried my hand at Bobby Flay's Kimchi Meatloaf with Spicy Glaze, and also made a garlic cauliflower mash to go with. And I cleared out a shelf in the back fridge so that when I get home tonight, I can prepare the Swedish carrots for transfer to cold storage. And I washed dishes...lots and lots of dishes. YAY for Gina!

"Cyd's Low-Carb Adventure," Day 23
Breakfast: (Someone slept through breakfast!)
Lunch: Carnitas Salad with Refried Beans, Pickled Onions and Carrots, Cherry Tomatoes, Guacamole, and Sour Cream--pictured above
Dinner: Kimchi Meatloaf with Spicy Glaze--pictured below--and Garlic Cauliflower Mash
Dessert: Sugar-Free Jell-O

I LOVED this meatloaf, but LORDY, was it SPICY! I used sriracha instead of red chile flakes in the meatloaf itself, which would have been fine, but in combination with that spicy topping...YIKES! I actually cut the gochujang (Korean red chile paste--available at Asian markets) by a third with ketchup, and it was still fiery like the pit of hell. Next time, I would use 2/3 to 3/4 ketchup! But you do as your system and tastebuds will allow.

One more note on the meatloaf: The uncooked mix was very wet, to the point that I was worried about it all coming together. But it baked up beautifully and sliced perfectly for sandwiches the next day. Maybe it needed to be looser to make up for the lack of a binding ingredient, such as breadcrumbs. On the plus side, that makes this meatloaf low-carb AND gluten-free!

For the cauliflower mash, I just cut a head of cauliflower into florets and steamed it with about half a cup of water covered in the microwave for ten minutes. Then I added four tablespoons of butter (I should have browned the butter first--oh well, next time), a teaspoon of granulated garlic, salt and lots of black pepper, and about a quarter cup of sour cream. Then I blitzed it with the immersion blender. DELISH, and I purport to LOATHE cauliflower! Chives would have been a welcome addition, and I could have used some freshly-grated Parmesan instead of the sour cream--all variations that I intend to try in the future. :-)

Kimchi Meatloaf with Spicy Glaze
(Source: adapted from Bobby Flay via Food Network)

Spicy Glaze:
1/4 cup gochujang* (Korean red chile paste)
1 tablespoon clover honey
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce


Meatloaf:
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes (I used a squirt of sriracha instead)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup prepared kimchi, drained well and chopped
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 large eggs
12 ounces ground chuck (80/20)
12 ounces ground pork (80/20)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

For the spicy glaze: Whisk together the gochujang, honey and soy in a small bowl; set aside. 
(*You might want to cut the gochugang by at least half with ketchup.)

For the meatloaf: Heat the canola oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the ginger, red chile flakes and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the kimchi and toss to combine. Remove to a plate and let cool for ten minutes. (I skipped this step. Why is it necessary to cook the kimchi??)

Whisk together the fish sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and eggs in a large bowl. Add the kimchee mixture and mix to combine. Add the beef and pork and gently mix to combine.

Put the mixture on the prepared baking sheet and form into a loaf about 12 inches long by 6 inches wide by 2 inches thick. Brush the top with the spicy glaze and bake until golden brown and the internal temperature registers 155 degrees F on a meat thermometer, about one hour. Loosely tent with foil and let rest for ten minutes before slicing.



No comments: