Friday, January 08, 2016

Late-Night Karaoke Kravings

Ok, this is the essence of who I am in one culinary anecdote: So I eat at a local sports bar tonight. It's called Hobie's, and it's owned by the same family that has an Italian restaurant called Pasquale's in a neighboring town, and both establishments serve very good food. I am tempted to try their soup special (chile verde pork with rice), but I am craving a salad (like I seem to do all winter long), so I get that instead. 

But later this evening, I run into my buddy Kevin​, and he tells me that he ate at Hobie's as well, and he DID have the soup, and it was fantastic. I am instantly depressed. So I have him describe it to me, and at 2am (after karaoke is over), I come home and make my own version. I don't know what the soup at Hobie's looked or tasted like, but mine turned out YUMMY! And because I made use of some pantry staples, it was so quick and easy, especially if you have leftover pork roast on hand like I did. 


Chile Verde Pork and Rice Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, small dice
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups pork stock (or chicken)
1 can corn, drained
1 jar Herdez salsa verde
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon chicken soup base
juice of one lime
1/2 cup half-n-half or cream
2 cups cooked pork shoulder, chopped
2 cups cooked white rice

In a 3 1/2 quart stock pot, heat the olive oil and saute the onion, jalapeno, and garlic until tender. Stir in the oregano, cumin, and pepper. Cook for another minute or two. Add the stock, corn, and salsa verde, sugar, and soup base and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, then stir in the lime juice, cream, pork, and rice. Serve piping hot!


No comments: